Everyone likes to feel loved, and the animals at the Austin Animal Shelter are no different. The shelter has many animals that are available for adoption, and the price tag is not that bad, considering what you get for it.
Steps to adopting a pet:
- Come to the shelter during business hours
- Fill out a double-sided application form
- Meet with an Adoption Counselor to discuss your plans and expectations, review and sign our Pet Care Agreement, and have your application approved. You’ll need to provide:
- A legal photo ID
- Proof of home ownership or landlord contact information
- Proof that any pets at home have a current rabies vaccination
- Spend time getting to know some of our homeless pets.
- Work with an Adoption Counselor to make sure your chosen pet is a good match for your lifestyle and preferences.
- Arrange for spay or neuter surgery and pick up.
- Pay for your new pet and take him or her safely home!
The fee to adopt your pet is $75, which is a little steep for the average college students budget, but this $75 includes:
- Spay or neuter surgery if the animal is healthy and over 3 lbs.
- All vaccinations the animal is old enough to receive, including a 1-year rabies vaccine
- A HomeAgain microchip
- A one-year Austin Pet Registration
- An adjustable nylon collar
If you don’t want to adopt a pet, you can volunteer with the shelter and enjoy spending time with the animals.
Regular volunteers are expected
- provide a minimum number of hours of service each month.
- required to attend an Orientation at the shelter
- training sessions to prepare them to do their specific job.
For more information: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/health/animal_services.htm